Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Punishment Soup


Braeden forgot his homework at school again today. His teacher is very chill about all things so it's not really a big deal to him. I really don't know what we are going to do next year though if he gets a normal teacher.


I have tried to not worry about it too much this year, but Ryan had had enough today when Braeden forgot it again. I decided that he would have to do something else so he found a book and he copied one of the pages in it with his best handwriting.

This is something we should probably do more since he completes his homework in 5 minutes because it is so easy for him. His writing definitely could use some work.

I'm always amazed at how he doesn't mind at all when he has to do something because he got in trouble. He just smiles and says ok and then does it without complaining. He just lets it roll right off of him. I think he likes getting in trouble more than not getting in trouble because he has the awful guilt like I have. If he can do something that he thinks remedies or is a punishment for what he did, he is happy to do it.

This can make life frustrating sometimes when conversations go like this:

"Go to your room"
"Ok, I was feeling like reading anyway"

"No reading"
"Well I'm pretty tired and need a little nap"

"No Wii for a week"
"That's ok, in 8 days I can play the Wii again, I think I'll just go play with the dog."

"If you complain so much about that for dinner, I'm making Punishment Soup (split-pea soup)"
"Mom, this is the most delicious punishment soup ever, can I have it again tomorrow?"

To this day he still talks about how much he likes "Punishment Soup"

With the frustration also comes something more. Something I can't explain that just makes me happy for him. Happy that no matter what comes his way in life he can turn Pea soup into a delicious meal.

4 comments:

Rhino said...

Who actually likes split-pea soup!?! For that matter, why did we have it in the first place?!?

Don't forget, though, that we have now identified actual punishment soup--I think we should try French Onion next time and see how well that bounces off.

Lady Carolyn said...

You have such a good boy! :)

BTW, Richard might forget his homework at your house if he found out punishment soup was french onion. Its his favorite. So sh.... LOL

~Michelle~ said...

Oh my stars, you're lucky to have such a willing and optimistic child, maybe my children could come over and learn to be more like that! I couldn't help but laugh about the punishment soup, because just yesterday I made Dylan eat some brown rice and cabbage and it was pure torture for him. Maybe I'll start entertaining the idea of serving it more often when he gets out of line ;)

MisterJ said...

So your telling me that making him stay in from recess to do his homework wouldn't phase him?

He'd fit right in. :)