Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Obama's Official Inaugural Luncheon by the Home Cook

I'm really bad at making family traditions. Sometimes I wonder what memories Braeden will have when he grows up. I have a hard time making a big fuss over Holidays when honestly I'd rather just go on a trip and skip the whole thing.

I want Braeden to have fond memories of growing up even though maybe they are strange memories and aren't the same kind every other child in the world has of Christmas morning (well hopefully there are a couple of those too). I've always thought it important that he knows where he came from--that Ryan and I are more that just "Braeden's Parents" so I make a big deal of him knowing who we are as individuals as well.

Today was an important day to me. More important than the spelling and arithmetic that Braeden should have sat through. I kept him home from school and we had an amazing day together. We watched the entire festivities of the Inauguration and then made the official Inauguration Luncheon. You can download all of the recipes here:

http://inaugural.senate.gov/luncheon/index.cfm

(Although I would say making it all in one day was quite exhausting. I would probably break it up into a few different meals next time.)

Seafood Stew

"A Brace of American Birds" Duck served with Sour Cherry Chutney and Molasses Sweet Potatoes and "Winter Vegetables" (although I don't consider Asparagus or beans winter vegetables).

Apple Cinnamon Sponge Cake and Sweet Cream Glace




We had a great time cooking together and talking about what an important day in history this is. After everything was finished we talked about what he learned today. He said "not much" but then proceeded to tell me for a good half an hour more than I ever would have thought he could have absorbed in one day (who was there, what they said, what they did, what it looked like, the musical numbers, etc.) from George Bush to "President-elect Obama who is now President Obama and Michelle" to "Vice President Joe Biden."

To sum it up, here is to hoping he remembers it. If not that's ok because I am happy.

3 comments:

aubrie said...

WOW!

Sounds like you had quite the fun day and did an incredible amount of cooking...it looks amazing! I hope you had fun!

P.S. I miss you, and I can't wait to go to the cooking class with you next Wednesday!

Lady Carolyn said...

That's so awesome! He'll totally remember that. Good food, important day, quality Mom time. What's not to love?

Jamie said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful day. I am sure he will remember it.