Friday, January 9, 2009

Like I Said Spontaneous Musing

I always thought it was strange that my husband had obsessions where he wanted to know/buy/have everything to do with a certain thing. When he was younger it was dinosaurs, then birds, then geeky sci-fi stuff that I don't even know enough about to describe what it is. For a while (ages 18-20) it was me. Then he moved on to gadgets of all sorts, coffee, gadgets, clothes, gadgets, shoes, gadgets, etc.

I had a realization today. I'm the same way I just never really saw it before. The problem with my obsessions is that it takes a LONG time for me to move on to a new category. One of the first was scrapbooking (this lasted a good 8+years). As I sorted through a few things today I realized how much money, time, and SPACE I have wasted on this hobby. Sure I have some cute scrapbooks that I made, but was it really worth it? When I add up the paper, stickers, and supplies that I'll never use but was sure I had to stock pile because I was "saving money" by buying it now when it was on sale instead of just buying the sheet I needed when I was making the page I don't even want to know the hundreds/low thousands of dollars I spent. It would have been so much more fun and easier if I just bought the sheets I needed as I went.

Apparently I didn't have a clue that this was a problem. I moved on to perfumes, makeup, and bath & body products. As I look around myself I know it is out of control but I still feel the need to buy more because of the "rare" "hard-to-find" "limited edition" nature of everything that is put out. I HAVE to stockpile my favorites, besides with eBay now available I always had the excuse that I could sell those "rare" hard-to-find" "limited edition" products and I did. Alot. But I still have an insane amount that I can't part with. It is an addiction. Sure there are worse addictions, but I have been in such denial. When I find a large amount of a highly coveted candle and can make $1,000 in an afternoon of work it doesn't help. (This amount of money was a one time thing) but I have made a lot of money off of eBay. It makes me feel like everything I own in this category is free because all the money I have made has pretty much gone to buy me products. When I really look around though and think about it I cannot believe the insane amount of money I have spent on all these things and I feel like I cannot stop.

As I move on to another category without having quite given up the last one I KNOW I would trade all that scrapbook stuff for a nice Le Creuset, and maybe an assortment of good olive oils, oh and have you seen that new Kramer collection by Shun? *serious sarcasm*

I just don't know where to go from here! Like I said spontaneous musing.

No comments: